Rosely Conz, M.F.A.
Rosely Conz, M.F.A.
Rosely Conz is a Brazilian dancer, choreographer, scholar, dance teacher, and screendance maker. Her creative and scholarly research focuses on issues of immigration, identity, and diversity through media such as screendance, live choreography, and as a theme of her lectures. She is also studying Afro-Brazilian dances such as côco de roda and samba, and how they can decolonize dance in tertiary education in the United States, both in the studio and on the concert stage. Rosely has performed and choreographed professionally for dance companies both in Brazil and in the USA and had her work funded by grants such as Pine River Arts in Michigan, FICC (Fund for Cultural Investments), and Capes (Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Education Personnel) in Brazil, additionally to being a CHA (Center of Humanities and Arts) Fellow and recipient of the Gail Pokoik Scholarship in Boulder- Colorado. She has presented at festivals and conferences nationally and internationally in Mexico, Brazil, Ireland, Canada, and Barbados.
- M.F.A. in Dance, University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, CO, 2016
- M.Perf.A, State University of Campinas, Brazil, 2013
- B.F.A., State University of Campinas, Brazil, 2007
- Progressing Ballet Technique (PBT), Certified September 2018.
- Capoeira Canavial – Boulder, CO. January - August 2016. Mestre Lucas Corvo
- Balletakademien - Stockholm, Sweden. September – October, 2009. Professional Dance Classes (Ballet and Contemporary).
- State University of Campinas (UNICAMP) - Brazil. 2004 - 2008. Capoeira Angola and Maculelê. Master Jahça and Master Lara Rodrigues.
- Royal Academy of Dance Ballet Certification. Lina Penteado Ballet Academy, São Paulo, Brazil. 2004.
- Topics in Early Dance History
- Afro-Brazilian Dances
Selected Publications and Conference Presentations
- Rosely Conz, Michelle Bernier, Bailey Anderson. Panel. "Empathy through the Screen: Implications for Creating, Curating, and Screening Dance Cinema". National Dance Education Organization Conference, Online, October 23rd, 2020.
- Rosely Conz and Julia Ziviani. (2020) “Ballet e o Método Somático da Ideokinesis: Uma Proposta Pedagógica.” Santos, Eleonora and Rosejanny Ferreira (ed.) Pesquisa em Ballet no Brasil: Panoramas Sobre História, Ensino e Cena. Editora IFG, Goiás, Brasil.
- Rosely Conz and Bailey Anderson. “Somática na Terra dos Outros” (2020) Map of Slight Askew - Online Journal Curated by LOCULUS Collective.
- Rosely Conz. “Of Invisible Things”. Choreography presented at ACDA (American College Dance Association), Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI, February 29th, 2020.
- Rosely Conz and Stephany Slaughter. “Uprooted Dance for Camera”. Hemispheric Institute Encuentro. The World Inside Out: Humor, Noise, and Performance. Mexico City, June 9th to 15th, 2019.
- Bailey Anderson and Rosely Conz. “The Otherland: Being with Disability and Foreignness” at Critical Junctures, Emory University, Atlanta, GA. April 6th, 2019.
- Ana Baer and Rosely Conz (2018). Interview about TerraBlue Dance for Camera. Women Cinemakers – Art and Independent Cinema.
- Rosely Conz. “Samba and Ballet: An Anthropophagical Dialogue”. National Dance Education Organization (NDEO) Conference, San Diego-CA. October 5th, 2018.
- Rosely Conz. “Decolonizing Dance Pedagogies Through Somatic Principles”. ACDA, North-Central Region, May 29 2018, University of Wisconsin at Madison.
- Rosely Conz. “Site Specific Dance and the MSU Museum: Interdisciplinarity and Collaboration.” Teaching and Learning Spring Conference, 10 May 2017, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI.
- Rosely Conz (2012). Creation on Stage: memories, perceptions and images that unfold from the dancing body. aSPAs Newspaper, State University of São Paulo (USP), p. 58 - 65, 20.
Honors and Awards
- Uprooted Dance for Camera. Awarded Best Emerging Voices, Experimental Short Film for at the Mosaic Film Festival 2020.
- Pine River Arts Council – Michigan - 2018. Project: Uprooted Dance for Camera.
- Undergraduate Research Initiative - 2016-2017. Michigan State University.
- Gail Pokoik Scholarship - 2015- 2016. University of Colorado Boulder.
- Travel Grant Award - 2015. University of Colorado Boulder.
- College of Arts and Science Fellowship - 2014 - 2015. University of Colorado Boulder.
- Program Fee Guest Artist Grant - 2015. University of Colorado Boulder.
- ACE Performance Enhancement Grant - 2014. University of Colorado Boulder.